While home fire safety is generally an adult responsibility, each member of a home plays an important role in fire safety.
Young children can:
- Help put away toys and keep pathways clear to avoid tripping or injury hazards in the event of an emergency.
- Maintain a 3-foot safety zone around the stove while their adult is cooking to help avoid distraction, bumping the heat source, and pulling hot items off courter tops which could cause injuries. They can also help to keep their family pets out of this area.
Older kids can:
- Model appropriate behavior while practicing home fire escapes drills.
- Help younger siblings escape in the event of a fire.
- Know and practice an emergency plan for times that they are babysitting or otherwise left to care for young household members.
- Know the important contact information for reporting an emergency