Regular cleaning and maintenance of your home's electrical appliances can help reduce the risk of home fires.
Appliances should be plugged into a wall outlet and never plug two appliances that produce heat, such as the toaster and coffee pot, into the same outlet.
Tips from NFPA:
- Major appliances (refrigerators, stoves, washers, dryers, microwave ovens, etc.) should be plugged directly into a wall outlet. Never use an extension cord with a major appliance—it can easily overheat and start a fire.
- Small appliances should be plugged directly into a wall outlet. Unplug small appliances when not in use.
- Window air conditioners should be plugged directly into a wall outlet. Many manufacturers of room air conditioners prohibit the use of extension cords. If the manufacturer’s instructions allow extension cords, follow the instructions for the proper type.
- Buy only appliances and other electronics that are listed by a qualified testing laboratory
- Replace wall outlets if plugs do not fit snugly or the wall outlet does not accept plugs with one blade larger than the other.
- All wall outlets and switches should be covered with wall plates to prevent shocks.
Safety Tips for Electrical Outlets/Receptacles from NFPA