From plugging in a phone charger to flicking on a light switch, it can be easy to forget the potential fire danger involved in the use of electricity. Avoid fire danger by increasing awareness of the proper use of electricity and what you need to know when purchasing or installing an appliance or doing home repairs. For example, when purchasing an appliance, make sure it is listed by a qualified testing laboratory and keep lamps and light fixtures away from combustible materials.
Tips for NFPA:
- Electrical work should be done only by a qualified electrician. Some communities require that a person doing electrical work have a license. Find out about the laws in your area.
- Have your home electrical system inspected by a qualified private inspector or in accordance with local requirements when buying, selling, or renovating a home.
- Keep lamps, light fixtures, and light bulbs away from anything that can burn, including furniture, bedding, curtains, clothing, and flammable or combustible gases and liquids.
- Use light bulbs that match the recommended wattage on the lamp or fixture.
- If a fuse blows or circuit breaker trips often, find out why and get the problem corrected before turning the breaker back on or replacing the fuse. Have a qualified electrician inspect and fix it.
- Install tamper-resistant receptacles where needed. Tamper-resistant receptacles are required for new and replacement receptacles inside your home.
- Major appliances (refrigerators, stoves, washers, dryers, microwave ovens, etc.) should be plugged directly into a wall outlet. Never use an extension cord with a major appliance—it can easily overheat and start a fire.
- Small appliances should be plugged directly into a wall outlet. Unplug small appliances when not in use.