The Stayton Rural Fire Protection District was formed in 1945 and first contracted for fire protection from the City of Stayton. The District furnished its own equipment for use by City Volunteers.
In 1952, a group of Volunteers organized to provide a fire station in the community of Mehama, which served the east end of the District. In 1956, organized Volunteers provided for another fire station in the community of Marion to serve the west end of the District.
A new station was built in 1980 after a group of Volunteers organized in Mt. Pleasant. This station served the southern portion of the District, which then encompassed 78 square miles. Unfortunately, the Mt. Pleasant Station was closed in 1998 due to a lack of Volunteers.
In 1977, 1983 and 1984, annexation of 29 square miles occurred, primarily to the east end of the District. The Elkhorn Valley Annexation led to the formation of yet another Volunteer group in 1985. Construction of the Elkhorn station by these Volunteers was completed in 1987.
Until 1985, the City of Stayton Fire Department and the Stayton Rural Fire Protection District (RFPD) each had their own governing bodies, and one Chief served both entities. At that time, the two groups consolidated into one District to avoid duplication of services, equalize the taxation structure, and address other benefits of mutual concern.
Today the District is served by four fire stations, manned by a maximum of 90 Volunteer Firefighters and administered by a full time Fire Chief, Assistant Chief/Training Officer, Mechanic/FF, Administrative Assistant, Information Management Systems/FF/EMT, and Facility Manager/FF/EMT.